RE: PA SU Fuel Pump Location

To: <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: PA SU Fuel Pump Location
From: "Bob Grunau" <grunau.garage@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 15:32:08 -0400
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
MG MMM,
Thanks for all the quick and accurate responses and photos re my PA fuel
pump location problem. Turns out I did have the correct holes drilled in the
firewall but when I tried to use these holes the pump fouled the rear carb.
Removal of the RHS stay rod to the radiator allowed the firewall to spring
back about 1/2" and give clearance for the pump in the correct location ( or
at least very close ). Removal of the rear carb piston chamber may require
removal of the fuel pump. I am replacing all the UNC and/or over length
bolts and nuts with proper BSF bolts as I go.

The problem was not helped by the restorer reversing the vertical brackets
holding the firewall so the front facing flanges are on the inside of the
car instead of the correct outside position.  Correcting this little mess
will require removing the lubrication pipes so I will leave that for another
later day.

This whole gasoline project started with replacing the fuel tank. The old
tank had many leaks and fibreglass "repairs" and other weld repairs and was
just too far gone to restore. I now have a new fuel tank painted and ready
to install. Then a fuel line below the tank was plugged and the DPO had
fitted an ugly aftermarket fuel pump in the wrong location.

Now I need to  route the last 18" of the two fuel lines to the tank. One old
line had a 270 degree pig tail and the line crossed under the chassis. The
second fuel line had a rubber hose grafted in and will have to be replaced
with a new rear section to the tank. Now I need some 5/16" copper tubing and
ferrules to make up the required fuel lines.
I think the correct routing for both rear fuel pipes is OVER the rear of the
chassis and into the fuel tank without any pigtails. Am I right?

Should have gone to the MMM meet at John Twists this weekend!!
Best regards and thanks again,
Bob
Bob Grunau
150 Pinewood Trail,
Mississauga, Ontario,
Canada, L5G-2L1

?
Bob,

On my PA1212, the measurements from the centerline of the bulkhead are 4.25"
and 6.75", with the top of the pump at center 2" below the channel molding
that carries the fume seal.

My bulkhead is original to the car. Perhaps at the works they eyeballed
things, rather than following a template?

Cheers,

Phil Anderson

Can someone give me the correct SU fuel pump location on a 2 seat PA. The
restorer of the car in 1975 had originally fitted an SU pump but I believe
in the wrong location. The pump body is outside the rear carb and just
inside the rad stay rod. The rad stay rod fouls the pump intake unless a
pigtail of plastic hose is used. The firewall during the restoration was
replaced so no old holes to use as clues.
Looking at the PA Instruction Manual, page 10, shows the pump well inboard
of the carbs. However before I go drilling more holes in the firewall, I'd
appreciate a more precise vertical and horizontal location.
Thanks for any help.
Best regards, Bob , PA-0531

---