RE: Oil Fitting

To: "Nowlan, Chris" <cnowlan@mossmotors.com>
Subject: RE: Oil Fitting
From: Edmund_Taylor@URSCorp.com
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 14:26:54 +1100
Cc: "Jack Hardy" <jnshardy@earthlink.net>, "Kevin Allocca" <kevin-allocca@msn.com>, mg-mmm@autox.team.net, owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
In reply and in support of the MMM group nipple system - if you have gone
to the trouble of installing new, nice looking pipework, go the litttle
extra effort to adjust and make them work. Mine have done so satisfactorily
for the last 15 years.

I use Penrite 240 oil, their "flowable grease" and it works well. The only
real dripping is the excess just after you do the oiling, and I try and
catch some of this. Putting grease in the braking system, as Chris inferrs,
whether in cable or cross shaft areas, is definately NOT good practise if
you want to keep your braking system at optimal performance.

Cheers, Ed (J3762)

Ed Taylor
Principal
URS Australia Pty Ltd
Direct: +61 3 9244 3302
Mobile: +61 412 333 212
Mail to: edmund_taylor@urscorp.com

This E-mail, together with any attachments, is confidential and may be the
subject of legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient please
E-mail me by return and destroy this message. You are not permitted to
print, copy, disclose or use the content in any way. URS accepts no
responsibility for changes made to this E-mail or any attachments after
transmission from URS. Thank you.

                      "Nowlan, Chris"

                      <cnowlan@mossmoto        To:       "Jack Hardy"
<jnshardy@earthlink.net>, "Kevin Allocca"
                      rs.com>                   <kevin-allocca@msn.com>,
<mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
                      Sent by:                 cc:

                      owner-mg-mmm@auto        Subject:  RE: Oil Fitting

                      x.team.net

                      01/29/2004 08:36

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      "Nowlan, Chris"

Guys,

             The MMM and later TA-TB-SA-VA-WA central lube system was not
the best thought out system and even under perfect conditions is still not
optimal. Grease should never be used but undoubtedly original lines are
full of 60 year old congealed grease. The original plain nipples do not
mate up well with original style grease guns resulting in more gear oil in
the area surrounding the fittings than ever gets to the required locations.
If gear oil is used,it mostly simply dribles out on your garage floor.

             The method I use on my cars is to temporarily disconnect the
lines at the destination end and screw in a conventional modern BSF
threaded grease fitting.  I then give it a couple of pumps with my modern
grease gun.  To remove and replace all the fittings only takes a bit of
extra time but really insures that worthwhile lubricant is getting to where
it's needed. The pipes quite easily can be pushed aside and subsequently
re-attached without bending or kicking them. Only the steering box needs
140 weight gear oil.

             These central lube systems look nice when properly cleaned up
but in my opinion are useless as a functional system.

Cheers,

Chris Nowlan
Product Development
Moss Motors, Ltd.