RE: Oil Fitting

To: "Jack Hardy" <jnshardy@earthlink.net>, "Kevin Allocca" <kevin-allocca@msn.com>, <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Oil Fitting
From: "Nowlan, Chris" <cnowlan@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 13:36:35 -0800
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Guys,

        The MMM and later TA-TB-SA-VA-WA central lube system was not the best
thought out system and even under perfect conditions is still not optimal.
Grease should never be used but undoubtedly original lines are full of 60 year
old congealed grease. The original plain nipples do not mate up well with
original style grease guns resulting in more gear oil in the area surrounding
the fittings than ever gets to the required locations. If gear oil is used,it
mostly simply dribles out on your garage floor.

        The method I use on my cars is to temporarily disconnect the lines at
the destination end and screw in a conventional modern BSF threaded grease
fitting.  I then give it a couple of pumps with my modern grease gun.  To
remove and replace all the fittings only takes a bit of extra time but really
insures that worthwhile lubricant is getting to where it's needed. The pipes
quite easily can be pushed aside and subsequently re-attached without bending
or kicking them. Only the steering box needs 140 weight gear oil.

        These central lube systems look nice when properly cleaned up but in my
opinion are useless as a functional system.

Cheers,

Chris Nowlan
Product Development
Moss Motors, Ltd.