Re: J2 engine Questions

To: "Dave & Diana Dwyer" <dmdwyer@optusnet.com.au>, <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: J2 engine Questions
From: "Pete and Fran Thelander" <pthelander@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 09:35:11 -0800
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Dave, et al,
I have to concur with your assesment of driving a car with massive flywheel.
The MGC suffers somewhat the same mallady. (In its case, it is my belief
that smoothness was put into the design for the other application of the
engine, the Austin saloon.  The MGC can become much more responsive with a
bit more valve timing and lift coupled with reducing the weight of the
flywheel .)
Any idea who the pundit is that coined your rule: "You should never have
your foot more than halfway down if you're at less than half max revs"?  He
should be made a saint of the automotive world.
Ignoring that advice has lead many of us yankees to destroy perfectly good
small cars.  Most of us were riased on large displacement engines that were
very mildly tuned and were quite content to lug around all day in high gear
and would pull away from an idle by simply putting the pedal down - none of
this inconvenience of shifting.  Try that with the air cooled VWs and you
burned the valves in no time at all.  Try it with an MG and you pound the
bearings out of the bottom end.  The MGC was the one MG that really suited
the American driving style.
I won't give the TC full throttle below 2500 rpm and try to slack off over
4500 and it last for years bewteen rebuilds.
Pete Thelander
NE, K2, TC, MGA, MGC