J2 engine Questions

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: J2 engine Questions
From: Bill Putnam <bputnam@powercom.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 11:31:38 -0600
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Greetings,

Does anyone have any comment on how to best balance the J2
crank/flywheel/clutch
assembly?  The pressure plate has some slop where it rides in the
pin guides, so I would expect that this could easily move a little
bit within the flywheel, throwing off the balance.

Is there a general consensus on how useful the additional 3rd bearing
that can be fitted to the front of the engine is?  I will be using
an Allen billet crank and rod set 73 mm stroke in the engine.

Does the alloy clutch cover plate as supplied by Sports & Vintage
motors provide a noticable improvement in throttle response?  My
original steel clutch cover is in good condition but the flywheel
and clutch assembly seems awfully massive for an engine of this size.

I will be putting a blower on this engine and racing the car in VSCDA
so smoothness and durability at high rpms is desired (or is that
an oxymoron with a 2 bearing crank :-) ).

Thank you,

Bill Putnam
J2 3488