Re: J2 engine Questions

To: <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: J2 engine Questions
From: "Dave & Diana Dwyer" <dmdwyer@optusnet.com.au>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 17:05:49 +1100
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Bill

Our J2 has a P-type engine, but you may draw some inferences from this.

The P flywheel alone weighs 11Kg: adding the cover assy, the driven plate
and fasteners brings it to just over 15Kg. It felt really ponderous to
drive.

When I rebuilt the engine I lightened the flywheel by 4Kg, so the total is
now 11.3Kg. It feels much nicer, changing engine speed more readily at gear
changes. I havn't found any disadvantage and I still wonder how much more
weight I could have removed (presuming I could have found a place to remove
it) before smooth running was impaired. I suppose I could always machine up
an aluminium flywheel . . .

As to revs, I've always understood that high revs are good and low revs kill
small engines no matter how many bearings you have. Many years ago someone
in the MMM in England propounded the rule "You should never have your foot
more than halfway down if you're at less than half max revs".

Regards

Dave Dwyer
J2, TA, TC