Re: Head studs

To: <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Head studs
From: "Dave & Diana Dwyer" <dmdwyer@optusnet.com.au>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 20:33:45 +1100
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Hi Terry

Personally I don't see any need for Loctite on the block ends of the studs:
they are tightened at 35-40 lb-ft into blind holes so they arn't going
anywhere. I use anti-seize there, and grease everywhere else on the stud.

I was lucky enough to get a crows-foot socket when they were still available
in BSF, so I have no difficulty in using a torque wrench on the head studs.
It would be worth the effort to file out the next smaller SAE or Metric to
suit.

I used 35 lb-ft, per Malcolm Greens 'MG Four Cylinder Cars'.

On the subject of studs generally, most of the smaller studs for manifolds
and water jacket plates do not have blind holes and go into the water. These
would benefit from Loctite Hydraulic sealant to reduce the possibility of
leaks in our 70-year old threads.

Regards

Dave Dwyer
J2, TA, TC