Re: PA clutch

To: "MMM" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: PA clutch
From: <hiro@octagongarage.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 9:43:58 +0900
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Hi Jack,

I recommend hexagon screw. Very easy to adjust.

By the way I tell you my experiences about clutch.

My PB Airline always had clutch judder - 3 miles after careful
adjustment, judder occured. Finally I found one of four lever
had a crack! Hey, did I have to get the engine/gearbox out? I
hated to do that, so I tried to do all the job through that
small hole. I ground off one end of the rivet (pin) securing
the lever carefully, weld the crack, and fix it with screw and
nyloc. Easy job but everything through such a small hole, and
the car has the roof! Fortunately my hand is not that large, so
I could manage that. I was so nervous not dropping things
there!

Another experience was that I had dropped hex wrench into my J2
clutch housing while adjusting. It was impossible to get it
out, so I left it there and tried to forget it. For first 20
miles, I kept the inspection hole uncovered (I just hoped the
wrench would be jumping out by accident). However, some
terrible noise and detritus came out of the hole...
Since then, my clutch adjusting tools have 'safety' wire!

Hiro

> From: "Jack Hardy" <jnshardy@earthlink.net>
> Date: 2002/12/11 水 午前 08:52:35 GMT+09:00
> To: "MMM" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
> Subject: PA clutch
>
> All,
>
> I'm finally driving my PA to uncover the remaining problems.
The current problem is that the clutch adjusting screws keep
loosening up. 20 miles since last adjustment! Besides being
difficult to get at they are almost too short,
> I've put half high nuts on two of them. The photo in Blower
and the Owners manual show (for clarity) the clutch without the
Trans/bell housing installed.
> The hole in the bell housing to work through makes this
adjustment much harder than the books imply. After this last
adjustment I put penetrating thread-locker on them.

> Two questions: 1. Are there longer versions? (Sports and
Vintage don't think so but don't have any of the standard  ones
in stock). Some with hex heads would make adjustment easier.
Making some seems easy except I and S&V think the tips probably
are hardened.

2. Am I overlooking something that would make the adjustment
easier?