RE: Fast Lane

To: "'land-speed@autox.team.net'" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Fast Lane
From: "Freiburger, David" <David.Freiburger@primedia.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 03:11:18 -0500
 I vote for requiring people to get their licenses at other events before
they come to Speed Week. This will reduce the time in line, at least on the
short course, because it will eliminate the people running 125/150/175
before they work up to the long course. It will discourage one-timers and
corporate marketing efforts from showing up, which will limit line lengths
overall, and will limit the number of people who can't get their car down
the track.

If people are required to get their licenses at ECTA or World of Speed or
World Finals, it will support more attendance at those events, which is a
good thing.  It will also ensure that only qualified, dedicated people are
at Speed Week. No other sanctioning body lets you show up at the biggest
event of the year with a rookie driver.

I'm a comparative newbie (first event '93, first pass 2001) and therefore
have no right to an opinion. But I can tell you that I would have been well
willing to pay my dues at other events to earn the right to race at Speed
Week, even if it took an extra year. It would make it that much more
special.

DF