Drive shaft U-joints (formerly, CV U-Joint)

To: "'Albaugh, Neil'" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>,
Subject: Drive shaft U-joints (formerly, CV U-Joint)
From: "3 liter" <saltfever@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 01:57:39 -0700
Well what do you know...I'm going to learnt sumptin from this thread. Long
before FWD popularized Mr. Rzeppa's joint, I used to call the "double
cardan" joints (like those found on fine vehicles like Cadillac and Lincoln)
constant velocity universal joints.  I just whipped out my '67 Motor Auto
repair Manual and, sure enough, It calls the Cad (double cardan type) a
constant velocity joint. Now since us old guys think of CV joints belonging
to two eras (pre-FWD and current FWD) I thought I would check further.  Here
is a quote "Normally a Double-Cardan (a.k.a. Constant Velocity or CV) style
driveshaft is used in applications where it is not possible or practical to
properly align the ends of a driveshaft for a single-cardan setup."
Referenced from this link
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Driveline-101.shtml#CardanDefined
Also, some Toyota truck manuals refer to their drive shaft joints as
constant velocity.
So as not to get bogged down in endless semantics I would like to refer to
the double cardan joint as CV because it is a heck of a lot easier to type.
However, Neil; your post begs the question...why don't we see the rzeppa CV
joint on drive shafts? Is anybody running either type on their drive shaft?
What are some of the drive shaft angles of LSR vehicles?  So many
questions...  -Elon