Re: Internal sleeves in butt joints

To: speedtimer@charter.net
Subject: Re: Internal sleeves in butt joints
From: Askotto@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 14:04:42 EST
Hi Glen

The butt joints are over a vertical frame tube and were actually made to
lower the front of the top frame rail by cutting half way through the upper
tube
and bending it down to meet a lower vertical support farther forward on the
frame. I didn't have a tubing bender at the time and this method worked. All
of  the "butt" joints are angular and none are free standing. They are also
supported by diagonal frame struts at one side and a gusset on the other. I
enclosed a pic for you and others to check out.

Also the car is fully sprung so some of the fatigue factor is reduced.  The
frame is mild steel which is also less prone to fatigue like welded  Chrome
moly.

I am familiar with the rule about the builder showing proof the frame is
strong and I was wondering how one does that. Would a letter or testimony from
couple mechanical engineers suffice?

Thanks for all the help!!!

Otto

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of butt
joint.JPG]