Internal sleeves in butt joints

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Internal sleeves in butt joints
From: Askotto@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 00:19:07 EST
The SCTA rule book doesn't say anything about internal sleeves being
required for butt joints in frame tubing. If I were to butt joint a "straight"
section of tubing, I would install an internal sleeve with rosette welds and
all.
What happens when the butt joint isn't a straight line and the tubes join  at
say 20 degrees. Obviously a straight sleeve won't slip in a 20 degree joint.
Bending the sleeve won't work as the two ends of the tubing won't butt up.
What  if the butt joint was a 45 degree angle?

The engineering handbook does  not require or even refer to internal sleeves
for butt joints. They only require  the weld be properly made, i.e. full
penetration.

I built a lakester and  had other than straight butt joints, generally
between 10 and 20 degrees. I  didn't install sleeves... What do I do now or are
sleeves not required on other  than straight butts?

Otto

196.103 at the Texas Mile, apparently in  a death trap.