Re: There's something wrong here

To: "Jane McMeekin" <mcmeekin@columbus.rr.com>
Subject: Re: There's something wrong here
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 08:52:14 -0700 (PDT)
>       Interesting chatter on the oil crisis. As you and others have
> suggested this issue may be a lot more complex than we would like to
> believe but we might want to focus on things that we can change.

Don,

Though out this discussion, I keep thinking back to the late seventies
when we had lines at the pumps and a 55 MPH speed limit. I have to admit
that I drove differently at that time...like I was competing in an
"economy run".

Many things have changed since then...my truck at that time got about 15
mpg if I drove sensibly. Today my truck with 120,000 miles on the clock
still gets about 20 mpg. I confess that I don't drive at the speed limit
all the time. I generally tow at 70 MPH, which is legal in Nevada and
Utah, but 55 is the limit in California for trucks and towing. I do know,
however, that 55 saves me money. The problem with all of us is that we
don't change our behavior until we cross the pain threshold.

You are correct in saying this is something that we can change...do we
have the grit to do it, or do we want government to step in? I prefer to
keep the government out of it. There is too much interference from
government in the business community as it is.

"The power to do good is also the power to do harm."
"Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program"

 Milton Friedman quotes