Re: There's something wrong here

To: "Elon" <saltfever@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: There's something wrong here
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 16:12:50 -0700 (PDT)
> Tom's remark above kind of infers that we are the bad
> guys compared to the more "frugal" nations. US Gas prices are lower than
> any other nation simply because of our taxing structure.

Elon,

I did not intend to infer that we are "bad guys" for enjoying cheaper
fuel. I realize that other countries' tax structure increase their fuel
costs and don't want to see that kind of thing here. (California fuel is
usually at least $0.10/gal higher than Oregon) I just want us to recognize
that we have enjoyed low gasoline prices for much of our past and there
are various reasons for that. For instance, when the East Coast has a
colder than normal winter, we enjoy lower gasoline prices in the Spring
because of the glut of gasoline produced in refining crude for fuel oil.
Competition in the market place also contributes to lower prices. Supply
and demand is still KING. We have seen prices go from near $3/gal last
month to $2.60 since the vacation season is over, even with the shorter
supply due to hurricanes.

Take a look at this...I realize this is Exxon's defense, but it is an
interesting graph none the less.
http://www.exxonmobil.com/Corporate/Files/Corporate/OpEdoilapples.pdf

Being in business myself, I know that doubling of profits from the year
before, can still be sub-standard. It could mean that you broke even this
year. I know my net the last few years have been well below the nation
average of 7.9%.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/FCC