RE: Topic Ideas

To: <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Subject: RE: Topic Ideas
From: "Russel Mack" <rtmack@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 20:32:41 -0600
O.K., Dave.
this thing about "...or you have done
nothing with the cam timing to take advantage of the compression":

I guess you are grinding your "systems approach" axe, again.  I like system
design, as well-- but it looks to me like the camshaft is the hardest thing
to work-into an overall concept that you hope to build right "from scratch".
I don't see how you can just throw a few parameters into your CAD program
(or whatever) and come out with the best cam design.  Doesn't it take weeks
of experimentation on a flowbench?  I think that's why most hot-rod
"full-racers" just order a "full-race cam" from their favorite supplier, and
just "make-do".

Please tell me how you would systematically optimize the cam for a LSR
engine (whether it involves flowing the head, or whatever).  Lord, I'd love
to know how to optimize cam parameters in a straightforward, systematic way!

Russ, #1226B