RE: Newbie to list with questions

To: "'Datsun Roadsters list'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Newbie to list with questions
From: "Pete Peters" <ppeters914@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 18:07:00 -0700
Be careful what you lust for.....

You don't see a lot of 914-6's because they only made about 3000 of 'em,
however, they're still around.

I don't know if the Renegades kit is still available, but there's several
people on the 914 list running various engines including Chevy V-8's.
There's an electric-powered 914 here in the Seattle area.

The nice thing about the 914 is that it's like a 4-wheeled motorcycle. The
mid-engine and almost perfect weight split makes 'em run like they're on
rails. I love diving the thing into a sharp corner. I'm told they still do
pretty well in autocross events. 30+ mpg is nice, especially these days.

The downsides are you have a narrow opening to work on the engine, valves
need adjustment every 3000 miles, roof seals that rarely do, poor heat
(remember, this is an air-cooled engine), and a host of bad design gotchas
on the '70-'72-1/2 models.

Every make has its own special warts, hehehehehe.

Pete