Re: Brakes Locked Up... Why?

To: datsunmike <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: Brakes Locked Up... Why?
From: Steve Allen <dumpdude@pon.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 16:10:45 -0700
It could be the caliper pistons as well-especially if they are pitted-they do
not retract very well. If it has been sitting for years I bet that is what the
problem
is. We have all heard it time an time again-bleed the darn brakes-some
recommend yearly. Brake fluid is a natural for getting moisture mixed in with
the
fluid and that leads to rust whcih leads to pitting. Caliper psitons aren't
cheap but are fairly easy to replace. Some people have had them re-sleeved but
have always replaced with new. When we cannot get them any more I have a few
sets lying around for re-sleeving. Is it the back brakes or the front
brakes? My '66 had the rear wheels locked up-bad wheel cyclinders. Best way to
check is to jack the front or back end up and try spinniing the wheels
after pumping the brakes up several times. If the car has been sitting for
years a whole brake job may be in order. My 2 cents worth any way.

Steve