Dash Caps

To: datsun roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dash Caps
From: Roman Rist <ristguitars@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 20:01:10 -0700 (PDT)
   Hi folks,

 Roman here with a helpful tech tip re: Dash Caps.

 I build and repair guitars for a living. on an acoustic guitar (Hollow
body) the wood is very thin. sometimes the seams open up, the back or
sides are cracked, sometimes there is a crack that swells warps, etc.

 these instruments are very difficult to return to there normal shape.
to make matters worse you can not use normal clamps as they will
collapse the instrument.

  By now you are probably thinking, What the hell does this have to do
with a roadster????

  Well, a late model dash has all the same problems.

  The best thing I have found for clamping irregular surfaces with EVEN
clamping pressure all around is BYCICLE INNER TUBING !!!! PERIOD!
It works where all else fails.

  You take some inner tube, cut it so it is no longer a circle, cut off
the valve stem, and then slice it in half length wise. You now have a
very long rubber band. one of the beautiful things about this is you
can work very fast, before your glue sets up. practice dry first
(without glue)so you know the wrapping path.
  Lay your adhesive line up your cap then start wrapping your inner
tube, It might take 3 or4 peices but you can take one wrapp it up
tight, tie it off and start on another.  Great Stuff!

 Roman Rist
 multiple roadster owner and expert clamper

Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!
http://photos.yahoo.com