Re: FW: 14 CUX EFI

To: "James Howard" <jhoward@sextans.lowell.edu>,
Subject: Re: FW: 14 CUX EFI
From: "Larry Mosher" <lpmosher@starband.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 13:44:49 -0500
Gents,
Based on my experiences with a 1994 Chevy Lumina Euro (with the "Hot" 3.4L),
it sounds like you have a vacuum leak. Unlike a carberator, most FI systems
will "just" add fuel to compensate for the extra air and then "try" to bring
the idle speed back to normal. I say "try" because of my Lumina. I was in an
accident which, along with >$6,000 of sheet metal damage, the EGR valve had
some carbon knocked loose (Chevy says) which resulted in an occasional
backfire, which blew the intake manifold gasket. The car showed no power
loss and no fuel consumption change. But driving it was scarry! Cold, it
took both feet on the brakes to stop it, and warm it would "idle" at 55 mph
in drive. And as you said, engine braking was non-existant. Replacing the
intake manifold gasket did solve the problem. The damaged gasket had about a
3/8" piece blown out of it, so it was not a large vacuum leak.
Food for thought. :-)
Larry
1976 TR7 fhc - died of poor build quality, awaiting resurection
1980 TR7 dhc - bought dead, being resurected
Galesburg, Michigan USA
Geographical Position:  N 42deg 31min   W 85deg 43min