Re: FW: 14 CUX EFI

Subject: Re: FW: 14 CUX EFI
From: Franc Buxton <fab@dcs.warwick.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 15:09:58 +0000
Pieter Erasmus wrote:

> > Hi all
> >
> > My name is Pieter Erasmus, and I am from South Africa. I am battling with
> > my Range Rover and hope someone here can help me before I throw a match at
> > it. I've send this out before and got some very useful info back, but new
> > problems arose.

        Hi, Pieter,

        Sorry to hear about your problems!

        Hi, Kent, yes, I am on this list! :>) How are you keeping?

        Pieter, the setup you have is very similar to mine (except I have the
serpentine front and original electronic ignition). The road speed sensor (with
the original chip) is simply used to determine whether the vehicle is moving, as
it won't do idle control if so, but will perform overrun fuel cutoff instead.
Hence, with no roadspeed sense you won't get cutoff, and it may try to control
idle on overrun, which can lead to stalling. TPS is used to determine whether
acceleration fuel is needed, and whether the throttle is closed or fully open.
No TPS will give a fault code and some weird behaviour, but has nothing to do
with roadspeed. No TPS and no airflow meter will probably cause it not to run,
as it must have at least one of those to know what it's doing.

        The main obstacle to me trying to diagnose the problem, rather than
just giving you the above info to help you do so, is the Tornado chip. Only
Mark Adams knows what he does to his chips, so anything is possible. I suggest
you ask him if he can help! I do not wish to voice an opinion on that issue! ;>)

        One suggestion I could make is that you fit a standard 4.2 chip, which
should be somewhere near correct for your setup, and check the installation of
the roadspeed sensor - which sounds as if it's telling the ECU that it's always
in motion - and recheck the base idle setting using the proper procedure (which
you sound as if you have used before). If all that works, then it's your choice
whether to replace the Tornado and see if the problem - and the excessive fuel
consumption - returns!

        I think I've answered the first of your two additional questions, but
to the second: Yes, best procedure is to unplug the connector from the ECU for
30 seconds, and all faults will be cleared.

        Hope that helps, please feel free to ask more if necessary!

        Regards,
                Franc.
--
      W------W       fab@dcs.warwick.ac.uk