Re: TR8 stuff going cheapish

To: "tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu" <tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>,
Subject: Re: TR8 stuff going cheapish
From: Mike Jeffreys <jeffremj@iname.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 09:43:38 +0000
Mike Jeffreys wrote:

> Robsport (www.robsport.co.uk) have bought up the TR7/8 bits from a US
> company. They are selling downpipes and cats for about 70 pounds
> sterling a pair. They also have a TR8 potentiometer (EFI?) for 20 pounds
> sterling. Lots of aircon stuff. Click on the 'specials' then 'goodies'
> buttons.

I have just received my purchase of downpipes and cats for about 100
pounds sterling delivered. Here is a photograph or 2:

http://www.btinternet.com/~triumph/AUT_0111.JPG
http://www.btinternet.com/~triumph/AUT_0115.JPG
http://www.btinternet.com/~triumph/AUT_0116.JPG
http://www.btinternet.com/~triumph/AUT_0117.JPG

They look to be a direct swop for the downpipes I got from Rimmers
(about the same price, but sans cat) and so should fit OK (which was a
worry buying unseen). There is still a worry that one may foul the
starter motor (engine circa 1971).

A couple of questions:

1) will the use of a cat on a UK car with a SU carbs and unleaded petrol
lower emissions (I beleive yes, but any other opinions?)

2) should I use an exhaust wrap on the cat (the existing downpipes are
wrapped)

Thanks,
Mike Jeffreys UKTR7V8DHC

///