Re: TR8 stuff and exhaust coatings

To: "tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu" <tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>,
Subject: Re: TR8 stuff and exhaust coatings
From: lmg@gomog.com
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 13:22:34 -0500
> 2) should I use an exhaust wrap on the cat (the existing
> downpipes are wrapped)
>
> Thanks,
> Mike Jeffreys UKTR7V8DHC

I have run across this question twice recently on other discussion
groups and at home with overseas guests. It is curious that the process
of ceramic-coating exhaust systems has not appeared in the UK as yet. It
has become the accepted standard in the NA, Australia and New Zealand
and happily replaces exhaust wrapping. The service is offered everywhere
here now. For example,
http://www.performancecoatings.com/headercoatings.html

These baked coatings (interior and exterior of the pipes) lower temps
significantly, improve exhaust flow, effectively rust proof, last
forever, come in many colours (depending on the supplier) including
chrome and are inexpensive. The price of a mild steel headers coated is
about the same as an uncoated stainless set and the coated systems are
better for the car and will never change colours with normal use.

Wrappings can indeed lower engine compartment temps, but do little for
the air flow, encourage/hide rust, are cumbersome to put on and less
than attractive. Many UK and European friends visiting here have looked
for someone over there who does this work (no luck yet) and others have
sent their exhausts here to have them done and returned. I too have had
no luck in finding a UK or Continental service to refer them to. Can
anyone help out?

Lorne

///
///