Re: Rover blocks

Subject: Re: Rover blocks
From: Franc Buxton <fab@dcs.warwick.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 15:51:17 +0100
David Kernberger wrote:

> 8/29/00
>
> John,
>
>         Excuse my ignorance, but is this "interim" block you speak of a 3.9
> or a 4.0?  My familiarity is mostly with Buick/Olds blocks and only a
> little bit with Rovers.
>
>         In general, what are the specification and feature differences
> between 3.9 s and 4.0 s?  Are they the same bore and stroke dimensions?
> This is one little part of the Rover puzzle I would like to learn more
> about.
>
>         T I A.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dave Kernberger

        I have just checked with some local Rover contacts of mine, and
for general information, the difference between 3.9 and 4.0 engines is
this:

        The 'interim' engine is a 3.9 - actually 3947cc, with some of the
improvements applied to the 4.6, namely the same 'crossbolter' block, but
without the crossbolt holes being drilled. It may or may not have main
bearing caps suitable for crossbolting, some of the earlier ones had old
pattern caps which did not sit flush with the sides of the housings, so
nowhere to drill the holes. (I know that bit from experience!) The main
journals are of the smaller size, despite the common block with the 4.6.
The 'interim' front cover has the new-design concentric oil pump on the
crank nose, but has a distributor hole. A worthwhile modification to any
Rover V8, if you ask me! (see website). This engine came equipped with
Lucas type 14CUX 'hotwire' fuel injection.

        The '4 litre' engine is the fully-evolved version, distributorless
and with the large-journal crank. Capacity is the same at 3947cc, as are
bore (94mm) and stroke (71mm). This one uses the Lucas 'GEMS' engine
management system.

        Hope this helps/informs!

        Regards,
                Franc.

        (Have I ever contributed here before, or just lurked? If the latter,
Hi, guys, interesting reading - keep 'em coming!) F.
--
      W------W
    WW---  ---WW     fab@dcs.warwick.ac.uk