Rocker shaft pillars

To: TR7/8 newslist <tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>,
Subject: Rocker shaft pillars
From: Dan Carrington <dc_grafx@microworks.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 06:33:39 -0700
So I was rebuilding my V8 the other day, well, working on the long term project
at least.  I am putting back together a 1980/1 SD1 engine that I will drop into
my TR7.  When I took it apart, I noticed the rocker shafts and rockers were
worn.  Not a really big deal.  I bought replacements.  Now while trying to
assemble it all, I have noticed that the pillars are not round.  The new shafts
don't want to go into them without force.  I am concerned at the thought of
using them.  I looked into replacements.  I found nice steel pillars with
outriggers for the rocker shaft ends at Real Steel, but they may not be able to
get any more of them.  JE Engineering wants $400ish bucks for a set of steel
rockers, style unknown.  Rimmers seems to want about 90 bucks for a standard
aluminum set.  All the US catalogs don't seem to have them at all.  So the
questions are:

1:  How concerned should I be about slight out-of-roundness?  Should I just
force them together?  Should I try to shape the pillars back to roundness with a
hammer or vice?

2:  Will the our-of-roundness cause oil pressure to leak out at the pillars and
not get to the rest of the rocker train?

3:  Does anybody have a source for steel replacements at an acceptable cost?

4:  Does anybody have a source for aluminum replacements at an acceptable cost?

Thanks
Dan Carrington
1977 White TR7, thoroughly tweaked for fun
1994 Honda CBR900RR sportbike