Re: Rocker shaft pillars

Subject: Re: Rocker shaft pillars
From: Franc Buxton <fab@dcs.warwick.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 15:54:17 +0100
Dan Carrington wrote:

> So I was rebuilding my V8 the other day, well, working on the long term
>project
> at least.  I am putting back together a 1980/1 SD1 engine that I will drop
>into
> my TR7.  When I took it apart, I noticed the rocker shafts and rockers were
> worn.  Not a really big deal.  I bought replacements.  Now while trying to
> assemble it all, I have noticed that the pillars are not round.  The new
>shafts
> don't want to go into them without force.  I am concerned at the thought of
> using them.  I looked into replacements.  I found nice steel pillars with
> outriggers for the rocker shaft ends at Real Steel, but they may not be able
> get any more of them.  JE Engineering wants $400ish bucks for a set of steel
> rockers, style unknown.  Rimmers seems to want about 90 bucks for a standard
> aluminum set.  All the US catalogs don't seem to have them at all.  So the
> questions are:
>
> 1:  How concerned should I be about slight out-of-roundness?  Should I just
> force them together?  Should I try to shape the pillars back to roundness
>with a
> hammer or vice?
>
> 2:  Will the our-of-roundness cause oil pressure to leak out at the pillars
>and
> not get to the rest of the rocker train?
>
> 3:  Does anybody have a source for steel replacements at an acceptable cost?
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> 4:  Does anybody have a source for aluminum replacements at an acceptable
>cost?
>
> Thanks
> Dan Carrington
> 1977 White TR7, thoroughly tweaked for fun
> 1994 Honda CBR900RR sportbike

        Hi, Dan,

        Try D.J. Ellis Ltd. (Nuneaton, UK) Tel: +44 24 7635 2888

        Dave has had some pillars made recently (with outriggers) and I have a
set for my Yella Terra roller rockers. I can't say what they will cost, as he's
my friend and did me a cost-price deal, but it will definitely be less than
$400!
(I also have connections with J.E Engineering, and I know they were upset
because
he got them made so cheaply...)

        Good luck with the project!

        Regards,