Timing/distributor problems

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Timing/distributor problems
From: "Larry Michelon" <lmichelon@i-c.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 12:48:57 -0700
The following is on a '89 Range Rover NAS fitted with a 3.9l V8. It was
running like crap, so I replaced the plug wires. I found the timing to
be at ~16 BTDC (previously set at 10). I took the top of the distributor
apart. It seemed the advance weights were a little stiff, so I lubed and
freed them up. But it still didn't seem like the springs were pulling
them all the way back in. I reassembled the distributor with a new
vacuum advance unit, top hat (the thing that keeps the shaft from rising
up), cap and rotor. It ran fine.

Until, it started running poorly again. Timing light shows the timing to
be ~14 BTDC and frequently jumps (to no specific point). Driving the RR
is OK up to 3000rpm. Above 3000rpm it runs GREAT, pulling very strongly.

I was told I really couldn't replace the springs for the weights and
that it would be time to replace the distributor anyhow. Reading in the
archives I saw that this was recently discussed. I am considering a
Mallory unit (can't find a supplier, but I need to try Summit) or an HEI
from a 75-79 Buick 350. Is the Buick HEI a direct swap, except for the
clearance problem of the hold down (fixable with a V6 hold down)?

Larry Michelon