Re: Timing/distributor problems

To: Larry Michelon <lmichelon@i-c.net>
Subject: Re: Timing/distributor problems
From: Winn Bearden <wbearden@americus.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 23:03:36 +0100
Larry Michelon wrote:

> . I am considering a
> Mallory unit (can't find a supplier, but I need to try Summit) or an HEI
> from a 75-79 Buick 350.

I'm by no means an expert but this is what I know and what I did.
    On my 3.5 (late 70's -early 80's) the oil pump drive  coupling was
inverted from the Rover setup (Female on dist. shaft, male on oil gear).   I
had to cut off the bottom of the HEI shaft, drill a roll pin hole, and mount
the drive coupling onto it.  I think that the later engines had the same
setup as the Buick, with the male on the dist. shaft and the female on the
oil pump gear.  Later when I went to a Buick front cover and buick hi-vol
pump, I had to hunt around for another dist. shaft as mine was cut off.
    As far as clearance,  on my stock manifold (dual Stroms) and later the
Edelbrock Performer,  I had to remove a good bit of material.  So much on
the Edelbrock I actually used a band saw!!  Also had to use a ground down
header bolt in place of the front left manifold bolt.  After looking at
SWMBO's  3.9 EFI, I think that material removal will also be necessary,
though not as much.

    Sorry about not answering the timing cover questions yet, been on
vacation and I'm behind on work.  Give me a couple of days.
--
Winn Bearden    19?? SIIA/SIII/RR 100" Hybrid
P.O. Box 464       1995 RR County Classic