Re: P76 V8 seals, gaskets, pumps, misc oil leaks

To: "Damien Haas" <damienh@defcen.gov.au>, <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: P76 V8 seals, gaskets, pumps, misc oil leaks
From: Peter Kent <pkent@skynet.net.au>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 99 18:14:16 +1000
You wrote:
So I began doing a little oil leak plugging and was looking at the
timing case on my P76 V8 and got to wondering.  Have any listers used
Rover 3.5 parts or Buick/Holden V6 parts on the P76 V8 ?
Reply:
We used the Rover P5B water pump with a Rover SD1 timing case on a P76
engine in a Rover P5B. The advantage of the SD1 timing case is that it
has a neoprene front oil seal that is less prone to leaking than the P5B
rope oil seal, and it also has a higher volume oil pump. I had been told
that the SD1 oil seal was slightly under-size for the P5B front pulley we
used but measuring it didn't reveal a significant difference and it seems
to have worked well in practise. One advantage in using Rover water pump
and timing case is that the radiator inlet and outlet pipes are
orientated in the right direction for the P5B radiator tanks. This may
not suit you if the P76 engine is still in a P76 car, also I don't know
if you can use a P76 water pump on a Rover timing case.
The SD1 timing case has the petrol pump drive aperture blanked off, as
the SD1 uses an electric fuel pump. We opted for an aftermarket electric
fuel pump, both to aid starting and in anticipation of a future LPG
conversion (which would not require a fuel pump). The SD1 oil pump drive
has a different distributor end than the P5B. At first we had the P5B oil
pump drive pressed into the SD1 oil pump gear, but it was too short to
engage the bottom of the distributor. Rob Stewart Engineering made a
longer oil pump drive ($40) with the appropriate end and it works well. I
don't know how this would suit a P76 distributor.

You wrote:
The original Leyland head gaskets are tin. Is there a composition one
available apart from Repco ? Would rover 3.5 or maybe even 3.9, 4.6 or
4.9 head gaskets fit ?
Reply.
Rover 3.5 composite head gaskets fit perfectly.

p.s. I have replaced the P76 rear main seal twice & it continues to leak.