P76 V8 seals, gaskets, pumps, misc oil leaks

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: P76 V8 seals, gaskets, pumps, misc oil leaks
From: Damien Haas <damienh@defcen.gov.au>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 16:13:19 +1000
Hello listers, well thanks for the advice on EFI. Im looking for a
secondhand EFI Rangerover manifold and will probably go down the Haltec
EFI route using the RR setup modified.

Lifted the bonnet on my P76 the other day and noticed some oil on my
shiny carport floor...

So I began doing a little oil leak plugging and was looking at the
timing case on my P76 V8 and got to wondering.  Have any listers used
Rover 3.5 parts or Buick/Holden V6 parts on the P76 V8 ?

Specifically components such as:

Timing case - would a rover one fit ? pros - cons ?
Fuel Pumps - am i better to ditch the mechanical, fit a plate and
go                           electric ?
Coolant pumps
Gaskets

Onto gaskets...

The original Leyland head gaskets are tin. Is there a composition one
available apart from Repco ? Would rover 3.5 or maybe even 3.9, 4.6 or
4.9 head gaskets fit ?

Also, despite my efforts I cant stop the rear main seal between the BW40
and the block, from always leaking. Has anyone managed to solve this
problem ? All the other leaks are really minor, this one is like a
fountain.

Suggestions welcome! Love to hear from experienced P76 leak pluggers...