RE: Cam Lobe Wear

To: "'Rich Atherton'" <gumby@connectexpress.com>,
Subject: RE: Cam Lobe Wear
From: Simon Sparrow <Simon.Sparrow@wang.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 08:57:02 +1200
Thanks for the thoughts Rich. I basically agree that there is not much point
in upgrading some of the engine as it will put undue pressure on the rest of
it. My engine's history is unkown to me as I got it from a junkyard. I know
it's been rebuilt at some stage as the mains and big ends are using
undersize bearings.

I did a compression test yesterday and the highest was 190Psi and the lowest
160psi - engine re-con books suggest a 'spread' of cranking pressures of no
more that 75% between the highest and lowest, so I'm not looking too bad
there (according to the P76 manual it should be 192psi).

I'm just going to replace the timing chain as that's pretty cheap to do and
then just carry on. There's a winter series of six sprint races coming up,
so I want to be ready for that....!

Simon