More on engines/cams

Subject: More on engines/cams
From: Simon Sparrow <Simon.Sparrow@wang.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 13:07:57 +1200
Hi,

Just to continue the saga, I've decided just to replace the timing chain in
my engine (p76 V8) rather than do a top end overhaul. I figured out that a
top end job (cam, heads re-con'ed) would cost about $2000NZ. I know of
someone who brought a Rover 3.9 V8 from a fire damaged Range Rover for
$3000NZ with a mere 30K Kms on it. This is now happily putting out 176Hp at
the wheels with no mods at all - they just dropped it in. This will be the
sort of thing I'll look for in the future.

In the meantime replacing the worn timing chain will make me feel like I'm
doing something usefull. In order to replace it I'll need to remove the
front cover and crank pulley. Is the crank pulley likely to just come off
(ha, ha)
 or will some special tools be required? The same question for the timing
gear on the crank.

Opinions/comments from anyone with experience?

Simon

> .-->

Simon Sparrow

Enterprise Network Architect