RE: Cam Lobe Wear

To: "'Gregg Feldman'" <theaterwiz@worldnet.att.net>,
Subject: RE: Cam Lobe Wear
From: Simon Sparrow <Simon.Sparrow@wang.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 15:39:52 +1200
As with my situation, its tricky to know. You can check out your engine like
I've done (check timing chain slack, valve lift, compression etc.)and if it
all looks reasonable go for the low-buck approach.

My thoughts are if part of the motor is worn to some degree, then there is a
better than even chance that the whole thing could do with looking at. So
there may not be much point in upgrading the heads if the bores & bottom end
are a bit tired.

However, replacing a stretched timing chain is relatively cheap and easy,
and should help prolong the life on the engine. (this is what I've convinced
myself of anyway...:-) )

Ever since I've had the engine I've regularly changed the oil, and always
warm the engine up for 1 minute before driving away. These two little things
should help get the most life out of it.

Simon