RE: Stainless Steel Brake Lines

To: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>,
Subject: RE: Stainless Steel Brake Lines
From: Barrie Robinson <barrier@bconnex.net>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 20:45:49 -0400
I believe Kunifer (copper & nickel) are approved. BUT in Canada it is not
the material that is approved.  The regulations just give a burst pressure
etc etc but do not make mention of material.  So you could use pasta tubes
as long as it met DOT specs!  maybe that is the same in the US.  I think
Aston Martin, Rolls Royce, Porsche, Ferrari annd Jag use Kunifer.  I read
that 80% of rebuilds in UK used Kunifer.  It is sold in the US try
http://www.cybercars.com.  Some State in US may not allow "copper" lines
but then that's the States!!

At 03:37 PM 5/15/00 -0700, Randall Young wrote:
>Mike :
>
>You're right, ordinary copper should not be used, although there are some
>copper alloys made just for the purpose, that apparently work well, like
>Cunifer.  However, I believe at the moment, the alloys are not DOT approved
>for use in the US.  Copper plated steel is OK, though.
>
>Try http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=14752  for copper-plated
>steel tubing kits.
>
>http://www.jegs.com  also has what appears to be the same kit, in some
>larger sizes.
>
>McMaster-Carr sells "double wall carbon steel tubing" that should do
>nicely, as well as SS "Aircraft tubing".  See items 5176K13 or 6622K13 at
>http://www.mcmaster.com/
>
>Randall
>

>On Monday, May 15, 2000 2:31 PM, Mike Rambour [SMTP:mikey@b2systems.com]
>wrote:
>>
>>    I was told never to use plain household copper tubing (although I know
>> someone who did use it on their car which should be on the road this
>> summer).  I tried to get steel tubing but my local shops only sell it in
>> pre-cut lengths with fittings on, so I have to cut and reflare them and
>> splice since they are short.  I was also told I should use something
>called
>> cupra-nickel lines (no idea if that is the right name) but I can't find
>> that either.  I just want to buy a roll of the stuff since I have to do 2
>> cars and  I won't find pre-made lines for them.  Where and what should be
>> used ?
>>
>>      Mike
>> p.s. on the team.net website there is a GREAT brake article but the
>> recommended place for bundy tubing (spruce aircraft supply I think it
>was)
>> does not list bundy tubing on the website.  Waiting for catalog :)
>>

>> ~~~~~ I'd rather be sailing ~~~~~~~and \/    \/  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> Mike Rambour                              .oooO  Oooo.
>> Bug Writer er...Programmer            (   )   (   )
>>                                                         \_)  (_/
>>               webmaster@b2systems.com
>> If you want to learn more about the ULTIMATE BRITISH sports car, then
>> take a look at   http://www.singercars.com/

Regards
Barrie Robinson
barrier@bconnex.net