Re: SU Carb throttle shaft rebushing

To: Curt Onstott <fungus@CSOS.ORST.EDU>
Subject: Re: SU Carb throttle shaft rebushing
From: Chip Old <feold@umd5.umd.edu>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 1994 01:52:26 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 7 Aug 1994, Curt Onstott wrote:

> I ordered the SU carburator catalog from Burlin Fuel Systems.  This is
> packed with information about SU's and is probably one of the best
> references available IMHO.  I saw that teflon coated throttle shaft
> bearings are now available to replace the cast in ones which wear out.
> These allow you to install normal sized throttle shafts.  To install
> these it is necessary to open up the cast in bearing to 9.5mm while
> leaving a little bit of the bearing inside of the carb intact to prevent
> the new bearing from sliding in further. (I assume.)  Now my question
> is:  What would be an inexpensive tool to perform this operation with?
> Would it be appropriate to use a drill press and a 9.5mm bit?

Only if you're extremely lucky!  You need a reamer that cuts one bearing
while piloting on the other.  Otherwise you run a big risk of the new
bores not being aligned with each other.

Chip Old              1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
feold@umd5.umd.edu    1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily transportation)