SU Carb throttle shaft rebushing

To: British car digest <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: SU Carb throttle shaft rebushing
From: Curt Onstott <fungus@CSOS.ORST.EDU>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 1994 14:34:50 -0700 (PDT)
I ordered the SU carburator catalog from Burlin Fuel Systems.  This is
packed with information about SU's and is probably one of the best
references available IMHO.  I saw that teflon coated throttle shaft
bearings are now available to replace the cast in ones which wear out.
These allow you to install normal sized throttle shafts.  To install
these it is necessary to open up the cast in bearing to 9.5mm while
leaving a little bit of the bearing inside of the carb intact to prevent
the new bearing from sliding in further. (I assume.)  Now my question
is:  What would be an inexpensive tool to perform this operation with?
Would it be appropriate to use a drill press and a 9.5mm bit?