RE: Electric fan

To: "Bricklin" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Electric fan
From: "GREGORY MONFORT" <WINGRACER@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 97 00:59:45 UT

For those that have asked, I don't have an electric fan on my car yet.  I've
gotten the eng & xmission in the chassis.  Now I need to get the radiator
recored.  So progress is slow due to $$$.  A lot of the new aftermarket
fan kits can go either way.  For some reason the puller appeals to me.  If
I put an electric fan on, I think I'll try taking the metal fan off and
see what happens.
<snip>
       Scott, I really don't have any proof.  But as you point out "I notice
most
cars use pulling fans" there must be a reason.

   If you do remove the original fan, convention states you must mount it as a
'puller'. This is because you want to pull air from a high pressure area (the
shrouded area in front of the radiator) to a low pressure area (underside of
engine bay). One of the problems with the Bricklin is both sides of the
radiator is in a low pressure area at rest and in a high pressure area at
speed. Heat just continues to build up in the engine bay. This is why you
remove the rubber molding on the firewall.

   You must also retain the shroud. You will need a 16" dia. fan  not more
than 2" from the fins. If a 16" won't fit try to use two 13"s. This would
probably require a custom shroud. I wouldn't mount the fan to the radiator
either.

Greg Momfort makes a good point about having the fan in front to cool its
motor.  However, The electric fans in my 84 Accord are original and still
going strong.

   You're comparing apples and oranges. The aftermarket fans I've seen aren't
nearly the quality (or price!) of the Honda's. It's also living in a cooler
environment.

G Monfort