Re: Electric fan

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Electric fan
From: Isensee@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 13:22:44 -0400 (EDT)
John, I am not sure I follow your logic that a front mounted fan would block
air flow more than a rear mounted one. It seems to me that all the air which
goes in one side must come out the other so blockage on either face has the
same effect.

It is an interesting question whether an electric fan will block a
significant amount of air. The fan blades should just spin in the breeze when
the car is moving, but probably still block some air flow, the motor and
shroud will definitely block some air, and any brackets I make to hold it
will too. When the electric fan comes on, it should make up for all that, but
it will make the standard fan less efficient before that.

Air flow under the hood can be complex. I have an Avanti and just putting a
front license plate on it raises the temperature several degrees.

Pugs, It seems to me that pushing and pulling fans should be equivalent, but
I don't have any real knowledge of this area. I notice most cars use pulling
fans.

Scott