RE: Audi A3

To: "Ms Katie Kelly" <katiekelly@sbcglobal.net>, <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Audi A3
From: "Thana, Peter" <peter.thana@roche.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 14:01:38 -0700
Are you talking about the regular Tiptronic or the DSG?  I was under the
impression the DSG was available on the A3.  The DSG is a completely
different beast, actually a manual with an electronically controlled
clutch and a very nifty dual-input shaft design that "pre-selects" the
next gears up or down to make shifting faster and smoother.  This is a
far better idea than the other clutchless manuals on the market, but I
heard the one on the V6 TT forced upshifts at redline rather than
holding the limiter, which would be fatal for autox.  You'd need to
check that out.

I have not driven one but the people I know who did are universal in
their praise of the 2.0T FSI engine.  It does seem a bit expensive for a
small Golf based car though.  I only saw the interior thru the window
but it looked a lot better than any Saturn I've ever seen!

Peter