RE: Educate me on alignment

To: "'J C'" <veloimpreza@yahoo.com>, <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Educate me on alignment
From: "Michael R. Clements" <mrclem@telocity.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 12:44:13 -0700
Factory alignment specs are notoriously broad. Your car can can be "in
spec" but be nowhere near consistent, let alone anything approaching
what is good for autocrossing.

When aligning for autox yet keeping within factory specs, you usually
want the most negative camber all the way around & the most positive
caster up front. As for toe-in, it depends on the car. In the rear, more
toe-in usually reduces power oversteer. In the front, less toe-in tends
to make the steering more sensitive.

You should think about how your want your car to be different from what
it is right now. Do you get too much push, or too much oversteer? Is the
turnin too fast or too slow? How even is your tire wear?

For example, my car turns in too fast and the steering gets darty at
freeway speeds. Also it has too much power oversteer. So when I get my
alignment done next, I'm going to reduce the positive caster up front
from its current +7 degrees, down to maybe +5 or so. Hopefully that will
slow down the steering and make it a bit less twitchy. And I'm going to
add a bit of toe-in on the rears to reduce the power oversteer.
Hopefully that will let me get more power down while cornering. The tire
wear looks fairly even, so I'm not going to change the camber.

This is based on my own personal experience. Your mileage may vary, salt
to taste.