RE: SUV explosion - in numbers

To: Carl Merritt <CMerritt@luminous.com>,
Subject: RE: SUV explosion - in numbers
From: Alan Gruner <algruner@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 11:57:50 -0800 (PST)
I am proud to be part of the 80% majority who's
driving skills are "Above Average" when polled. :)

One of the values of auto-x to me is the reminder I
get at every event that I am not that great. I am much
better at controlling my car at the limits than I used
to be. However, every few events I do manage a big
spin like the one  I did last Sunday. This my gentle
reminder that the limits of the car are fun to play at
but to stay away from them while driving to work or
the  grocery store.

(Sarcasm begins here) As for who has a legitimate use
for an SUV, this topic has been debated endlessly in
many forums. To end this once and for all, I am
appointing myself as chief judge and arbitor of who
should drive an SUV. My basic criteria will be those
the 3 that Michael decribed.

1. Being driven by somebody wearing a hard-hat.
2. Towing a large object.
3. Is driving off-road.

These criteria will be used to judge someone
unsuitable to drive an SUV.

1. Self-image that makes you completely uncomfortable
about ever driving a minivan.
2. Belief that heavier vehicles are always "Safer" for
everyone in an accident.
3. You have rear-ended anyone in the last 18 months.
4. Your vehicle has any scars from hitting poles,
walls, barriors, support beams, or other vehicles
while parking.
5. You believe that SUV's are actually roomy inside
compared to other vehicles of the same size.

Those wishing to avoid the scorn and derision of all
right thinking gearheads, racers and auto enthusiasts
can contact me with a description on the vehicle and
the reasons they are using it. If you are judged to
have legtimate use, you will recieve a certifcation
plaque to display that says "Al thinks its Okay" the
cost for this service will be only $20 per vehicle.
(Sarcasm ends here)

Alan

=== message truncated ===
http://sports.yahoo.com