Re: Truck & trailer rental

To: Rick Grefsrud <rmzgrefsrud@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Truck & trailer rental
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 08:40:07 -0800
On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 11:44:45PM -0800, Rick Grefsrud wrote:
> I'd agree with Kevin on the trailer rental through U-Haul.  I rented an
> F-250 from Mission Valley Ford Trucks on Brokaw in S.J. when my transmission
> went crunch the day before the Atwater ProSolo last year.  I recall paying
> about $69/day + $0.10 per mile.  Maybe too much, but it was less than any
> truck from U-Haul on the mileage charge.

If you rent from U-Haul, CHECK THE TIRES on the trailer before you
leave the rental office!  I towed my Integra from central New York to
Sunnyvale back in 1999, and one of the tires threw a tread a little
past Cleveland.  This was on the first day, when I was still taking
the "45 MPH Max Speed" label a little too seriously.

When I got to Indianapolis, I took the trailer to the U-Haul service
center, and they replaced all four tires (including the junk tire the
U-Haul repair contractor put on to get me back on the road).  Two were
dry rotted, one had cuts in the sidewalls, and the last had a leaky
valve stem.

So, check the tires visually and check the inflation pressure.

They also frequently can't provide equipment even when you've made a
reservation, and tried to hold my brother responsible when his rental
truck's transmission died and left him stranded.

Not a U-Haul fan.  Other people will rent you a truck and trailer.

John

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson
http://www.idsfa.net/~john/                              HMC Physics '94