Re: Accents

To: Sethracer@aol.com
Subject: Re: Accents
From: Darren Madams <darren@madams.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 11:23:38 -0800 (PST)
Probably the same reason that up in Sacramento, where half the freeways
are called some form of 80 and travel in all directions.

It's so confusing that pretty much everyone calls one of the 80s "The
Capital City Freeway" which nearly everyone appreviates "Cap City
Freeway" and I've even heard "The Cap" a few times on traffic reports.
The morning news even abbreviates it "CCF", not to be confused with GGF!

A better question, is why is 280 labelled North/South when the majority
of it's use is East/West?  And why the hell is 880 called "The Nimitz"?

        --Darren

p.s. English accents are still pretty geographic.  My mom (who only has
started adjusting her strong English accent in the last few years) can
generally pinpoint the county, if not the city of true English people.
As travel and migration have picked up, they've all muddled, but in the
smaller lower-class communties accents are so strong they're even their
own language (Cornish for example, which my Grandfather speaks and I
attempted to learn a few years ago).