Re: Nationals Course--not!

To: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Subject: Re: Nationals Course--not!
From: Rich Urschel <OSP13@attglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 00:48:36 -0700
"Mark J. Andy" wrote:

> I assumed when I read the above that "unclear areas" meant "unclear as to
> the best line" vs. "unclear as to where to go", fwiw.

Um, at GGF there are no optional lines after the first run group. Everything
else is littered with gravel.

> I never saw the interpretation at GGF, but I didn't find this year's South
> course at all unclear from the "where do I go" point of view...

There were two problems Sunday with "where do I go", one of which I
discussed privately with Vern. That one was the addition of a row of
pointer cones put down after most had already walked the course.
It changed the visual field coming out a fast tight turn.

The second problem was that there was a single upright cone with a
left-pointing pointer cone planted to the left of the path between two
gates. This cone had a wall of cones behind it apparently marking the
boundary of the usable portion of the lot. Setting a single cone in
front of a row of similarly sized and colored cones makes the single
cone all but invisible to those of us with less than acute depth perception.

Three of us DNF'd all three runs in the morning groups and the DNF rate
was 56% higher in the morning.

Rich Urschel

Ps. The tight corner at the end was probably wise to slow the cars down
near the finish, but I doubt if it was in compliance with the McKenna
rule (supp. 19).

Pps. I had an excellent time.