Re: SFR Calendar for 2001 is posted

To: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SFR Calendar for 2001 is posted
From: "Scot Zediker" <roadsterboy@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 15:27:57 -0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "John Kelly" <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
To: "Kevin Lahey" <kml@patheticgeek.net>; "John Kelly"
<76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Cc: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2000 12:00 PM
>         While you may prefer the present Marina site* over other sites,
the
> goal is scheduling events as close to the Bay Area as possible, to provide
> as many events as possible to our members in a convenient location. By
> having events inside the Bay Area, more people get interested in the game
> and, eventually, some of them seek other venues.

I'm not sure about Kevin L, but for me, Marina is CLOSER than Golden Gate
Fields, and not much further away than Oakland or 3Com.  And I know I'm not
the only one in this position; there are definitely other autocrossers in
the South Bay.

>         I hope you enjoy your long trips. By their distance away from the
> heavy population area, you will have a more laid-back event because there
> are fewer people. I like those kinds of events, too, but I realize without
> a solid base here in the Bay Area the sport will shrink dramatically. How
> do I know this? Well look what happened in 1998 when seven of our 16
events
> were held in Sacramento. That's why I volunteered to take over scheduling.

IIRC, there were four events at Castle in '98 as well, weren't there?  Or
did you include these in the Sacramento total?

The above isn't really here nor there.  I know a lot of folks don't want to
drive too far just for a few minutes on course, but I'm not one of those.
As much as I appreciate your efforts in getting us local sites, I'll
probably be heading out to the Sacramento area more often next season.  I
don't know if getting more time in on concrete will help me at Nationals
next year, but it certainly won't hurt (at least until I start running out
of tires ;).

 As they say in the Supreme Court, I respectfully dissent.

Scot