Re: SFR Calendar for 2001 is posted

To: John Kelly <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: SFR Calendar for 2001 is posted
From: "Kevin Lahey" <kml@patheticgeek.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 21:17:01 -0800
In message <200012171454_MC2-BEFA-26B@compuserve.com>John Kelly writes
>That is also the case at the Topeka Nationals on all that genuine
>60-year-old brushed concrete. There is concrete dust, marbles, and other
>stuff, too. On ANY course, the path is just about 8 feet wide. That's a key
>lesson to remember when trying to go fast on ANY course. Oakland, too.
>        It's also the case at Marina as well. But there you get sand, too.
>And the place isn't swept like we do at GGF.

I'll respectfully disagree.  I've noticed an enormous difference between
Marina and places like Oakland and GGF.  It is the difference between my
car being nicely planted (maybe occasionally stepping out) and struggling
heartily to keep it going straight.

I've spent plenty of time talking to more experienced autoxers about how
to drive on these slippery surfaces, and I learn something every time
I drive 'em.  I'm just not sure if it is worth it to learn to hold to
the inside and ignore what would be the fast line on a decent surface.
I'd rather just run the decent surface.

I understand how hard it is to get new sites, but if I have a choice
between a day at GGF or a day at Marina, I suspect I'm gonna pick
the concrete.  I notice that there are alot of days like that scheduled.
Perhaps this will help to keep our attendance down after all...

Kevin
kml@patheticgeek.net