Re: 8 CONE SLALOM (WAS: THANKS)

To: "James Creasy" <jcre@mozart.com>
Subject: Re: 8 CONE SLALOM (WAS: THANKS)
From: Keith Hearn <khearn@Legato.COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 14:32:07 -0700
In message <001601bfe07a$200825a0$78cc3ec6@JCRE.MOZART>, "James Creasy" writes:
> i vote for a steady speed and very smooth steering inputs.  it has seemed to
> me that upsetting the suspension with throttle/brake/ or lift just reduces
> the transitioning-speed and grip.

I definitely vote for smooth steering inputs. I just wish I drove like I
  vote. Hmmm, Maybe not, since I tend to be a "middle of the road"
  voter. I guess I'm just "using all of the track" in the poll booth. :)

I've read that in some cars you do want to go on and off the throttle in
  a slalom (smoothly, of course). For instance, a Miata is more
  stable while cornering if you're on the throttle to get weight
  shifted back. So one might want to be on the throttle as you make
  each turn, and lift as you straighten out in between to bleed off
  enough speed so you don't get going too fast.

In my official runs I hadn't figured out how fast my car could handle
  the slalom (it's a continuing problem for me, the car can handle a lot
  better than I think it can), so I was lifting way too early. But I did
  use this technique and it felt really solid. I just should have been
  doing it about 10 or 15 mph faster. :-P

During fun runs Craig Boyle very generously offered to let me ride with
  him (and een waited for a few seconds at the start as I sprinted to
  join him). That ride convinced me I wasn't being nearly as aggressive
  as the car can handle and my next run I was a full second faster
  (despite some sloppiness). That was when I started hitting the rev
  limiter in the slalom.

Thanks again Craig!

> also, drive VERY close to the cones.

Yeah, this is essential. And something I really need to work on, and not
  just in slaloms.

  Keith Hearn
  '99 Miata 10AE "Sexy Sadie" the Sapphire Shark
  B-Stock
  Milpitas, CA