Re: Group (Un)Think

To: Keith Hearn <khearn@Legato.COM>
Subject: Re: Group (Un)Think
From: Rich Urschel <OSP13@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 20:34:57 -0400
Keith Hearn wrote:

> Until you know the basics, not thinking will just cause problems.

I disagree. Focusing and trusting your inner self without
interference thinking will not get you in trouble, presuming
you know how to operate the controls of your vehicle without
thinking about them. Not paying attention and/or thinking about
something else will get you in trouble no matter how much
you "know" about autocrossing. Thinking about braking points,
lines, blah, blah, blah, will slow you down and make you LESS
safe at speed no matter what your autox experience level is.
Your nervous system will save your butt a lot faster in a crisis
than you can if you just let it.

Yesterday I was in diagnosis mode trying to determine exactly
when the engine was stumbling so I could report it accurately.
I drove terribly.

> I should re-read it, too. I'm getting to the point I described above.
>   I've reached a plateau in my driving, stuck a few seconds behind the
>   top B-Stock drivers. Time for me to quit thinking and just drive.

Or to ask someone to ride with you and provide feedback afterward.
You drive, let someone else think about it. No charge.

Rich Urschel