Re: Simple solution to illegible handwriting on timing cards

To: Kevin Lahey <kml@patheticgeek.net>
Subject: Re: Simple solution to illegible handwriting on timing cards
From: Pat Kelly <lollipop@ricochet.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 15:44:18 -0700
Driver's and car's icense number might be important in case there's a problem
with your activities on the site (!!); the membership number will be useful when
I finally create a field to include that, plus the exp date, so we know who's
current with their membership. We have not been tracking that and should be.
    As for email address? I have some of them already which I store in a field
with the phone number.
    The problem with all these fields and filling them in is that not only do
the entrants need to make sure they are all written in CLEARLY, the final scorer
needs to take the time to make sure all are up to date when all we're really
interested in is how we finished that day. You've all been pretty quick to point
out when I've forgotten to "update" a field...:-)
    The more I need to look at, the longer it takes to get the results out. And
you'd be amazed at how many folks move in one year. That reminds me, when you do
move, please write on the side of the card, or at the top, something like: "New
Address" so my eyes won't skim over that part.
    If you want to make a label that will fit on the card, pick one that is
about 5 inches wide by 3.5 inches tall. Some sort of shipping label size, I
imagine. That will cover over the blanks on the card and leave room for the Tech
& Registrar initials.
--Pat Kelly