Re: Nitrous Proposal

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Nitrous Proposal
From: Eric Linnhoff <knuckledragger@kcweb.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 00:10:57 -0800
 I am not
> sure how much pressure a NOS bottle has, I bet something considerably less
> than 200 PSI.
====================================
Uhh, try at least 900 psi.  More like 1200-1300 psi when fully loaded.
Nitrous racers want a constant 900 or so psi when spraying at the track.

I don't think "accidental discharges" is a major issue of concern.  British
cars have them all the time.  ;^)  Sudden power surges?  Please, that's what
every Prepared and Mod car is built for.  Risk of messing up the track?  Do
we have any CP or LBC car owners in the house who can respond to that
concern?  ;^)

As to beign aboe to tell if someone is spraying, it depends.  A 150 shot on
a V8 car would be very noticeable while a 50 shot on a teeny car like mine
might not be quite so dramatic.

The only major safety issues that would surpass the risks associated with
having P & Mod cars in event attendance I can think of are in the cases of a
crash or car fire.  Beyond that, at local events, simply point out the
appropriate rules to them, make them disconnect the line or remove the
bottle and remind them that next time they really should just leave it at
home.  At the higher level events folks should damn well know better.

As to actually following the rules concerning "protective cages" around high
pressure tank nozzles, you guys must never walk around the Nationals paddock
and see all the welding/cutting rigs in the various trailers without such
"required" safety equipment.  Either that or there are a lot of heads buried
in the sand, again.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
'98 Dodge Neon R/T (see-dan)
'95 Plymouth Sport Coupe (coop)