Re: Should Integra Type R's be in Stock Category?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Should Integra Type R's be in Stock Category?
From: Sam Strano <strano@stranoparts.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 21:39:07 -0500
At 06:33 PM 2/6/99 EST, Smokerbros@aol.com wrote:

>I think we should be more aggressive both before and after the fact.  We
>should've banned 1LEs and M030s right up front.  Part of the reasoning behind
>allowing 1LEs, Z07s, etc. is that you can easily build one if you want.  You
>can NOT easily make a GSR into a Type R.

Come on now.  Where does it end?  Sooner or later we'd be stuck running the
base model of every car in every class.  I'd agree that you can't make a
Type R out of a GSR without alot of work.  Does that mean it should be
tossed?  Well, no.  Personally I don't think the Type R is very fair in GS,
after all, just compare it with the stats on a Prelude or GSR.  The Torsen
alone should raise red flags.  AnywayI think I can speak for the 1LE
debate.  It DOESN'T matter.  God, how I wish that would stop being dragged
into this mess.  It's clear to anyone who actually gives a damn enough to
look that you haven't ever needed a 1LE to win or be competitive.  I've
driven both, I can vouch.  Hell, Dean Sapp's TWO FS championships were BOTH
in two different generation F-bodies, both of which 1LE was available.
But, he managed to do just fine.  As for the Vette's, I dunno as much.  But
how many folks have tried non Z07/Z51 cars?  Probably no-one that could
give it a fair shake nationally, so who really knows.............  What's
next?  Rob Faulkner seems to okay in his NON M030 968....... Should we ban
RX7 R1's too since they are a performance option *and* dominate their class?

>My feeling is that 3000/year of a model should be a minimum.  Where to draw
>the line as to what is a different model is the problem with the Type R.
>Different motor might be one place.  That would make a Type R a different
>model, but not make a !LE different.

I think it should come down to if a package was available to folks.  A Type
R isn't really a GSR option, but a Z07 is for a Vette, a 1LE is for a
Camaro/Firebird, the R is for Miatas, ACR's, R1/R2's, SVT Cobra's etc.  All
of those are available to anyone who wants one.  Go get one and quit
complaining (I had to for God's sake).  I do think the Type R is
mis-classed, but hey that's my opinion and it may change in the future.
The fact is a lot of cars are mis-classed, but usually in an uncompetitive
way.  It happens, sad but true.

Sam Strano